What is CutTime?
While CutTime Productions is an artistic enterprise begun in 1993 (incorporated in 2010) by bassist Rick Robinson (as a member of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra), it’s chief mission is the ongoing project (CutTime®) to introduce classical music, esp. symphonic, in the wider community and to diversify concert audiences. CutTime has three unique touring ensembles, an award-winning staff composer/arranger and a popular club classical series to offer relaxed chamber concerts and community open jam events where people gather casually.
With informative remarks, analogies, audience participation, adapted symphonic music and accessible new compositions, CutTime works to break down the cultural stigmas keeping many from approaching this fantastic form of music. CutTime brings classical, often amplified, to bars, clubs, restaurants, offices, homes and outdoor festivals as well as churches, schools and concert halls. It is the only organization in the world dedicated to presenting symphonic music as chamber music.
The umbrella corporation CutTime Productions, LLC manages these entities:
- CutTime Players®, mixed octet of flute, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, percussion, violin and bass featuring transcriptions of symphonic repertoire
- CutTime Simfonica®, string sextet of 2 violins, 2 violas, cello and bass, optional percussion and woodwind soloist featuring originals and more transcriptions
- CutTime String Quartet, string quartet of 2 violins, viola and bass with half of Simfonica’s repertoire
- Mr. CutTime, bassist, arranger, composer, conductor, and CutTime owner Rick Robinson
- CutTime Players Publishing, music publishing company registered with ASCAP
- Classical Revolution Detroit, amplified event series held in non-traditional venues featuring classical music and relevant hybrids (Note: CutTime won an Arts Challenge Grant of $30,000 in 2013 from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation to expand this series.)
Hi-res photo 1 of Rick Robinson (playing bass)
Hi-res photo 2 of Rick Robinson (headshot)
Hi-res photo 3 of Rick Robinson (writing music)
Med-res photo 4 of Rick Robinson (Detroit skyline)
Med-res photo of Classical Revolution Detroit club event